Friday, July 2, 2010

Coasting: it's as effortless as driving.

The rides today rocked. Could not have asked for better weather.

It's Friday before a long holiday weekend and I treated my commute as such. I wanted to see how far I could coast today. My chosen coasting area was the Antelope creek trail, starting at the bottom of the hill near the reservoir, just after one passes Everett Elementary. (I needed to build up some speed, I got the bike to 22mph by the time I got to the bottom of the hill.)

I then coasted until about halfway up the hill just before the Trago Sprayground. I needed to start pedaling. 6mph is slow enough to make one lose their balance on a bicycle. That's almost 5 blocks of not pedaling. That's about 1/3 of a mile to those who choose motorized transit.

I almost pedaled up the super-short inclines in between bridges, but decided to let the bike slow to 13mph up the hills and 16mph down the hills through gravitational acceleration.

It took me longer than normal to get home, but my kids informed me I was just in time for dinner!

Pizza Friday!!!

14.08 care-free summer miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment