Monday, January 31, 2011

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I've posted about motorists being too nice before. Today was no exception. I have to blame part of today's overly nice motorist on the weather. Freezing drizzle started falling at about 4am today. The city road crews didn't get started on it until 6am. Everyone in this city was caught off-guard. I really do think they think they were doing me a favor.

I'm standing with my arms crossed at the intersection of the MoPac trail and N33rd street, both feet flat on the ground, patiently waiting for a gap in the cars to open up naturally before crossing the street. The cars are moving at MAYBE 20mph.

And then one stops, backing up the never-ending line of traffic all the way to Vine, two and a half blocks south. I facepalm and wave the driver through. Driver honks at me to "go".

I crossed the street, and every single one of those cars had to spin rubber against
ice to get moving. The line of cars hardly moved as I pedaled away. I can't help but think about what the motorists in back, those who didn't see the first motorist stop and honk me through, must think of me and cyclists in general.

I really wish the motorists would completely ignore me during the winter like they do in spring and summer: they're more predictable when they don't know I'm there. Maybe I should dress in white so I blend into my surroundings.
Maybe like an Imperial Storm Trooper. That might be less weird to see when the weather gets frightful, as opposed to a guy dressed in black with silver ski goggles and a white bike helmet.

At the other end of my commute, I got to the bridges at 27th and Highway 2 and saw an epic line of cars coming from 27th and Old Cheney, a mile or so south. I snapped a pic of them, they were going nowhere as I was able to pedal effortlessly across the bridge.



My true feelings on this matter require photoshop.

Thanks Melissa

33 minutes of seat time on my bike with studded tires. Everyone at work took "an hour" or more to get to work. It was worse for people who don't park in garages, they spent 20 minutes scraping ice off the windows after work, I can assume they took as long in the morning.

Ha Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment