Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Absense makes the quads grow fonder and shrink in size

I haven't commuted on my bike since last Wednesday. It's been busy in my neck of the woods. I've driven my "kid taxi" for the last week.

My younger brother and his family came to visit for the weekend. I haven't seen him since his wedding in 2004. 

We went for a ride Saturday. I let him set the pace since he's not a cyclist. 14.8 miles, 1hr 33 minutes. I almost don't consider that a ride so much as a farmer-tan session. You'd think we rode through Death Valley after seeing his red face and sweat soaked shirt. When my sister in law saw us she asked me what I did to him. I replied "Nothing I wouldn't ordinarily do to myself."

I really wanted to point out the fitness levels he had attained in high school and how the mighty have fallen, but I decided to leave well enough alone.

He also told me how uncomfortable the seat was. Judging by the look on his face and the tone in his voice, the level of discomfort is somewhere between being placed in an Iron Maiden and being drawn and quartered. As a result he did much of the ride out of the seat. He called it "riding BMX style". I had a bit of a flashback to our childhood, imagining him on his old chrome Schwinn Predator BMX riding through the streets and parks of West Omaha...

Meh, I have no idea what he's talking about. I find the Body Geometry line of saddles from Specialized to be far more comfortable than the "this is what one's first night in prison must be like" Vetta saddle I had on my old all-aluminum Cannondale.

But what's on my mind ain't how comfortable the seat is on my current bikes compared to bikes past, it's the t-minus 24 days and counting before the Cornhusker State Games Time Trial scheduled for June 26. I'll have more posts on my prior (and kinda embarassing) experiences in this event later.

One step at a time. Tomorrow I get back in the saddle again with the commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment