Thursday, June 3, 2010

It's bright, I forgot my sunglasses. Hit it.

I rode to work today on the trails.

Over lunch I decided to take a ride. I've often thought about doing this, today I just manned up and did it. I saved a route on ridewithgps a long time ago and pulled it up at 11 or so this morning and thought:

It's 10.2 miles from work to Saltillo Road and back. I am about to eat a frozen Stromboli and drink some water. It's bright. I forgot my sunglasses. Hit it.

I rode it in 35 minutes and some change. Average speed of 17.8mph, max speed of 31.7mph. I also discovered that time trial bars are very unstable at 25mph. I need to get more experience on them.

I very much prefer to ride on highway shoulders in remote areas, because you never lose momentum from stop signs or dog walkers or joggers or rollerbladers. You just keep going. It is the greatest feeling in the world to just keep riding. Your worries just melt away.

I saw four others out on bikes in the same area at the same time. I feel like I just got let into a secret society of folks who know exactly how to escape the daily grind.

I saw several dozen cyclists on the trails after work today. Maybe a hundred. Such glorious weather. Such calm winds. Such a great day to ride. I love late spring in the Midwest.

I know I won't be singing the same tune in August.

Total of 24.42 miles today.

No comments:

Post a Comment